Monday, December 29, 2014

I've never married a dog.



Recently we have decided to re-home 3 of our mini-Dachshunds. All sound reasonable reasons and the choice was made not because of our lack of attachment but in spite of it. We came to this decision with our dogs best interests at heart. I consider it a more noble deed than keeping the dogs forever if that is not whats best for them. Sometimes you really should make the hard decision and put aside your selfish attachments.

We have a number of issues with the dogs. Two that fight constantly and will only end with one them going somewhere else to live. Two females that attack our horses and will literally swing from the tail of a Clydesdale by their teeth. I dont think I have to tell you what will happen if one of those huge horses decided they have had enough of that, and those are just two of the biggest concerns here.

So..,my daughter put the word out on facebook that the dogs would be rehomed to good homes. Now mind you I paid quite a bit for the two females, gave a home to the two unwanted males, and we are giving them all away free of charge looking instead for who we think will offer the best life situation for them,

Nevertheless...Cody used the wrong "buzz word" and posted "we are getting rid of our small dogs" So you guessed it, some self righteous dog lover had to publicly make issue of it with a "how could you" kind of crack. This in spite of the fact that Cody explained that we were actually re-homing them in that original post and some of the reasons why. Regardless, the implication was that we were awful people for even considering it.

Well...never one to take an insult be it direct or implied sitting down I shared a piece of my mind and replied. I shared the fact that we have taken in many stray dogs and our farm is always overrun with those dogs because of it. I shared that we are the ones that step up to the plate to remove a stray from a farmers farmground to spare it from him shooting it. We do as much as we humanly can for dogs, which includes finding them new homes. One that goes out leaves a spot for when another comes in.

However...I should not have had to explain myself in the first place, nor should I have felt like I needed to. This is where the whole animals are more important that people thing comes into play. That I should upheave my life and lifestyle for the benefit of my "fur babies". That thought process that says "get rid" of the Clydesdales because they are a threat to the wittle bitty dogs that attack them. That attitude that I should be willing to move heaven and earth to keep the dogs "furever".

The implication is always that if I ever own and care about a dog I should feel obligated to keep it until death do us part. To that I remind you that I have never in my life married a dog and the truly right thing to do is to put peoples best interest first. Even if those people are me. I assure you it is truly in my best interest not to see whats left of a Dachshund after a Clydesdale punts it like a football.  

No comments:

Post a Comment